The first week of public school has been successfully completed.
Alex has lots of friends, but usually he plays with Christina and Mikey at recess. One day the boys were trying to chase Christina and so Alex said he was tackling them. He said they like to play "camping" and put their coats on the ground for their beds. We brought treats to school for Alex's class and Alex sold the leftover treats for Ram Awards (you earn these and turn them in for little treasures). I think Alex would say that lunch is his favorite part of school. He always looks on the computer to see what they're having the next day for lunch. Alex's teacher got chick eggs and they are in an incubator in the classroom right now, and Alex is very excited about that. I talked to Alex's teacher on Thurs. and she said that he is having an adjustment academically to the way things are done in public school. What I mean is that things on the math page "look" different than in our book at home, or for reading comprehension they do a worksheet instead of telling back what they read, etc. He has never had a "test" before either. This has been hard for me, but doesn't seem to bother Alex. He is a very very happy boy and loves school and loves to learn.
Nathan had his first cry about school last night. As a mother, especially transitioning from homeschooling to public school, this ripped my heart out. He was crying because recess is boring, and all the stuff they do is too easy. I asked him even though it was too easy if he liked it and he said yes. He said he didn't want to go back to school, but I'm sure by Monday he'll be fine. All the other days he comes home happy. His kindergarten does more play activities than academics, which is good for Nathan so that he's having fun and not bored. He told me the other day they did math and he asked to do his workbook instead. Yesterday in math they measured dinos and other things. I saw math problems on his paper and asked what it was. He said he was adding the measurements together, like the width and heighth of his paper. So, he's trying to make it more challanging for himself:). I get the feeling that his teacher thinks I'm trying to push this poor kindergartener into doing all this academic work, but really this is what he wants. The day before public school we were doing some review and I put in a big math problem and Nathan said, "I can't wait until I get to the treat!" (the treat was the big math problem).
Todd told me this would be a transition, but it's really hard when I'm going through it! Todd's had to do a lot of talking me through things, and my emotions have been all over the place. So far though, I think it has been good. It's helped me see what I can do better/differently in homeschooling; and if we don't do homeschooling next year, what i need to teach them to be ready for public school next year. As far as deciding whether to homeschool or do public school next year, don't even ask! I am just trying to get through this adjustment, and have a baby, and try and stay somewhat sane! We'll decide that later in the summer when we have to. I do have to say that I have the very best husband ever. He is so good with me and my crazy pregnancy emotions! I am so glad that he is so level- headed, smart, sympathetic and patient with me. Thanks, Todd, I love you!
Saturday, March 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
sounds like you have a great hubby. Glad the kids are doing well. love you.
poor nathan. :( at least his conscience punished him enough to where you didn't have to. ;) those boys have good moral compasses. i'm sorry that you're having a hard adjustment time!! it makes it so much worse when you're pregnant and hormonal... i wish we all lived close enough together that we could hang out when we feel like poo. :( i love you!!! i'm giving you a "cyber hug" right now... ;)
Yeah, thanks Todd!
Post a Comment