Sometimes life feels this way.
I really enjoyed this quote by Anna Quindle.Elder M. Russell Ballard quoted her in my favorite talk"Author Anna Quindlen reminds us not to rush past the fleeting moments.{or if I could enter here-the basket-head mother syndrome} She said: “The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less”(Loud and Clear [2004], 10–11).
Starting today I am going to be better. I never had a basket-head mother, and I AM NOT GOING TO BE A BASKET-HEAD MOTHER! I am going to listen, love, communicate, cherish, enjoy, teach, preach and prepare my children. Time for everything else later. "
It just so happens that the mother of 4 young children who wrote this blog is in the hospital, with 80% of her body covered in burns and a 60-70% chance of living. Here is the story:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/07/fashion/07burn.html?_r=2&pagewanted=1&sq=By%20ALEX%20WILLIAMS&st=nyt&scp=1&oref=slogin
I put the update blog on my sidebar. Read "c jane's" blogs before the accident... they are hillarious!
I really enjoyed this quote by Anna Quindle.Elder M. Russell Ballard quoted her in my favorite talk"Author Anna Quindlen reminds us not to rush past the fleeting moments.{or if I could enter here-the basket-head mother syndrome} She said: “The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less”(Loud and Clear [2004], 10–11).
Starting today I am going to be better. I never had a basket-head mother, and I AM NOT GOING TO BE A BASKET-HEAD MOTHER! I am going to listen, love, communicate, cherish, enjoy, teach, preach and prepare my children. Time for everything else later. "
It just so happens that the mother of 4 young children who wrote this blog is in the hospital, with 80% of her body covered in burns and a 60-70% chance of living. Here is the story:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/07/fashion/07burn.html?_r=2&pagewanted=1&sq=By%20ALEX%20WILLIAMS&st=nyt&scp=1&oref=slogin
I put the update blog on my sidebar. Read "c jane's" blogs before the accident... they are hillarious!
1 comment:
Darling, I always have to remind myself that in 100 years no one will know how messy my house is and how high the pile of laundry. But leaving a happy, healthy, educated child can impact the world, what ever the size of that child's world. I had a friend who said she'd clean up the mess when her kids left home. :-)
Woody Allen said 90% of life is just showing up...being there with the kids is most important, because that's when you can catch the questions, musing, etc. that the kids have, any you can share yours. My kids always asked the most profound things in the car, and the thing I regret the most is that I didn't get to stay home with the kids when they are little. The number of years that the kids WANT to be with you is relatively small...friends and activities start to take over...then the teenage dementor years begin and you become toxic :-)
Enjoy this time--it is the sweetest
Post a Comment