Monday, November 8, 2010

Christmas poem

This poem sounds like us getting ready for church:). I like the part I highlighted best:


T'was the night before Christmas


When there rose such a fuss.

With all these packages to wrap,

It was just 'way too much'.

Family was coming,

Food was a must,

And, with so many people,

It was either be ready or bust.


"Get up from the TV,

Get off your fat butt!

If you don't get movin',

You'll sleep with the mutt!"


"Kids, get back to bed!"

"Pitch the dog outdoors!

Get goin', buddy,

And sweep up the floor!"

T'was an annual event

And everyone knew

Voices would rise

As the tension grew.


Mom wasn't happy

And Dad was mad.

And with all the noise,

It made the little ones sad.

Nope, Christmas wasn't merry.

It wasn't CHRISTmas at all,

In spite of painted faces

Once guests entered the hall.


What was the point

In all the pretense?

Could Santa and reindeer

Come to their defense?

Could packages and ribbons

Make a home of love?

Would settling for presents

Still be enough?

But, how could it be Christmas

Without the fuss;

Without all the presents,

Wrappings, and such?


Could Christmas come

Without exhaustion, just bliss?

And should we appreciate

Whose birthday it is?

And, if at our front door,

Would we let Him in?

And would He know


The party's for Him?



I must admit I had been

Sort of selfish, myself;

In attempt to mend

My own inner self ...

Creating Christmases

To fulfill all my dreams,

Only for others to live;

Or so it does seem ...

Forgetting whose birthday

It really was

And even the joy

Of His tender touch.


And so ...

T'was the night before Christmas

When I changed all my plans,

To let the Christ-Child in

And place my heart in His hands.

Poem Author: Joyce C. Lock©;2008

1 comment:

Tawnya said...

That is really sweet. I like that. Thanks.