Monday, March 2, 2009

"love my dad"; and "please comment"

I just got off the phone with my dad-- he is always so wise and knows just what to say. Points I want to remember:
1. Kids don't notice what the house or yard looks like. I'd love them to have an amusement park for a backyard and a castle for a house, but then my energy, time and focus is on that instead of on them. All they care about is probably if it's clean. What they do care about is time together and doing fun things together. I know that, but sometimes it's easy to forget that in my actions and thoughts.
(Now that they have no kids in the house, my dad took up the hobby of woodworking. He said it would have maybe been nice to have that when we were younger, but then it would have taken too much money, time away from us, maybe he could have done it with Ryan but who knows if he would have even liked it or not, but now he can do it all he wants after work.)
2. I can concentrate on one thing at a time (paint project, garden project, etc) and have patience. That "p" word scares me.

Anyone know where I can get buy some patience and self control? Preferably a place that takes credit cards....

In thinking about the perfect childhood, I was wondering, what was your favorite childhood memory? I remember Emily saying that her mom always had the house clean and cookies. I remember loving the "forest" (empty lot full of trees by our house) and any other enchanted place that was full of imaginary potential. Tawnya said that she didn't envy the girls who did gymanstics, etc, she just wished she had a mom to give her attention. I remember loving the piano music and peaceful feeling at my childhood piano teacher's house (Carol? I forgot her name). In our house I loved that our parents let us build forts with tons of blankets and couch coushins. They let us use the video camera to make our "movies". They even let us "draw on" the coffee table (literally)! (ha ha, they thought we meant "with paper" but we meant- literally). Our house wasn't so fancy that we couldn't have fun as kids. I also loved camping and swimming all day. I loved trips to CA (or just any trips). And we had a birthday party EVERY year. Now I find that not all parents give birthday parties every year-- I thought birthday parties were a given! Todd maybe had one party (poor guy).

So please let me know, what are some of your fondest childhood memories?

Also, what things and traits do you admire in your mom and/or dad?

5 comments:

Laurie said...

My fondest childhood memories were going out in the cow pasture and playing out there till dinner time. It was a 300 acre pasture, so we had new adventures all the time. I LOVED riding our horse out there when we finally got one. In the summer time, all the kids in the neighborhood would get together and swim all day and play eternal monopoly games, then get ice cream when we heard the ice cream truck coming. No responsibility.... aaahhh..... :)

I admire my Mom and Dad for their work ethic-- if they're going to do something, it's going to be a good job. And for their love for each other, and for their steadfast faith.

Laurie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rick said...

Thanks Kristie, that was nice of you to say.
I think what I love most about my mom is that she has a great heart and doesn't hold grudges. She is very forgiving.
As a kid growing up I liked burning things down but we will leave that for another time. I remember hiking all over Moraga till dinner in the summer. I remember my minibike and riding it everywhere. We also had eternal monopoly games on our street in the summer.

Love,
Dad

Anonymous said...

my favorite thing about my childhood was my siblings. they were the people who kept me grounded, made me realize that my home life wasn't what defined me and made me open up and have relationships with others.

my children I know have a lot more than what I had as a child but the one thing I've realized that I have to start from a pretty bare foundation of how to be a great parent. Its an ongoing challenge for me to be more nurturing and more available to my children. but I keep thinking one day at a time I will make it better and better. Its a relationship and they are meant to grow and change.

Tawnya said...

I have some very fond memories with my brothers. We played "Lagoon" or did silly things like throw green jello on the road. We didn't have a lot of parental supervision, but we were really close. That was fun.

Also, I admire my dad for the strong, sweet, silent, spiritual leader he is. He is such a great example to me and Jed. I admire my mom for getting out of bed every day.