Sunday, June 14, 2009

my boys' talents

"Do you know what 100 nickels makes? $5.00! I knew that because 100 pennies is $1.00, so 100 nickels is $5.00."
"Do you know that 10,000 pennies is $100?"
This is what Nathan told me today--yes, my FIVE year old. Todd, Alex and Nathan were talking about this and other math numbers, and then ended the conversation by looking up on the internet the estimated number of atoms in the universe (which is 10 to the 80th power, by the way).
Nathan is very good at math and math reasoning. He thinks math is like a game.
Alex is also good at math, and likes it very much. There are things that Alex knows that Nathan doesn't, and vise versa.
But Alex really shines when it comes to reading and building things, or spatial intelligence. When we got Katie's bouncy seat, it didn't come with instructions, just a bunch of rods, and I was dreading trying to figure it out. One morning I came downstairs and Alex had put the whole thing together by himself. The other day Alex asked Todd to fix his Star Wars space ship toy thing, and Todd couldn't figure it out. The next day, Alex had put it together himself and showed Todd how he did it. On Friday I was helping Nathan put together an art craft, and Alex showed me I had it wrong, that one part was upside down. SIX years old-Genius!

3 comments:

Rick said...

And they are wonderful kids also... They are truly very smart kids. Keep up the good job you are doing with your kids.

Love,
Dad

Tawnya said...

Wow. That really is amazing!

kdguice said...

i needed nathan as a tutor in high school...